Frequently asked questions
Scroll down to see answers to things we get asked a lot. If you're looking for something specific, enter or choose a keyword below.
- About ABLE
- How the account works
- Linking bank accounts
- Opening an account
- Qualified expenses
- Successors and Estates
- Tax benefits
- What type of disabilities qualify for an account?
- A person with any disability that qualifies for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or blindness that developed before the age of 26 is eligible for an account. Some of the conditions recognized by the Social Security Administration that could qualify... Read more
- Who can be a beneficiary of a Maryland ABLE account?
If you developed a disability or blindness before the age of 26 and are eligible for SSI or SSDI benefits, or have a signed Diagnosis Form from a licensed physician, you can open an account.
- Can I enroll and manage a Maryland ABLE account with a paper form?
The easiest, fastest way to enroll for and manage a Maryland ABLE account is online.
If you want to use paper forms for enrollment or managing your account, you can find those forms here.
- Are there age restrictions to open an account?
- An adult beneficiary can open an account for themselves. If a beneficiary is under the age of 18, they must have an Authorized Legal Representative (also known as an ALR) do it for them. An ALR must be able to show a valid Power of Attorney or Legal Guardianship documentation, or be a parent of a... Read more
- What do I need to open an account?
- If you’re the beneficiary of the account, make sure you have this information handy: Your email. Your birthday. Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax Identification Number. Contact details. Proof of eligibility. If you’re an Authorized Legal Representative, you’ll need your information... Read more
- Is there a minimum to open an account?
You need $25 to get the account started. After that, you can add as little as $10 at any time.
- How do I choose an investment option?
- If you decide to invest all or some of the money, there are four investment options to pick from: ABLE Fixed Income, ABLE Conservative, ABLE Moderate, and ABLE Aggressive. We can help educate you on the differences between the four, but we can’t tell you which one to pick. You can learn more about... Read more
- Can I add another Maryland ABLE investment option?
- Unfortunately, you can’t add an additional investment option, but you can switch the choice you’ve already made — that is, your previously chosen option — up to twice per year. To change your current investment option, simply log in to your account and “edit” your plan to make the changes you’d... Read more
- How do I add multiple bank accounts?
- Once you’re logged in to your Maryland ABLE account, find your “Accounts” section in Your Profile and click on “Add a new bank account.” Follow the steps to connect a new bank account associated with either the beneficiary of the Maryland ABLE account or the Authorized Legal Representative. Keep... Read more
- Can I open a new account if my previous account was closed?
Yes, log in to your closed account using your email and password, then find the “Create new account” link to get started.